Your search results


Energy Performance Certificates

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) contains information about how energy is used in a home together with typical energy costs. An EPC is a legal requirement whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • Sold
  • Rented

You must order an EPC when you market your property for sale or rent and we are able to organise this on your behalf as part of our service.

The EPC will also give recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money.

A domestic energy assessor will produce the report and provide the required certificate. EPC’s lasts for 10 years and are held on a central database which anyone can access at

The EPC rates a building’s performance in terms of

  • Energy use per square meter of floor area
  • Energy efficiency based on fuel costs
  • Environmental impact based on carbon monoxide (CO2) emissions

This provides an energy efficiency rating and an environmental impact (CO2) rating, ranging from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient).


Buildings that don’t need an EPC

These include:

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
  • Stand alone buildings with a total useful floor space of less than 50 square meters
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
  • Some buildings that are due to be demolished
  • Holiday accommodation that is rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
  • Listed buildings – you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character
  • Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year